Monday 22 April 2013

Artful Readers Club - March

My book for March's Artful Reader's Club run by the very talented Darcy was World War Z by Max Brooks.

I will admit that this went on my list because the film is due out soon and I like a good zombie film :) Also, if a film adaptation looks good I like to have read the book beforehand.

The synopsis...

"It began with rumours from China about another pandemic. Then the cases started to multiply and what had looked like the stirrings of a criminal underclass, even the beginnings of a revolution, soon revealed itself to be much, much worse. Faced with a future of mindless, man-eating horror, humanity was forced to accept the logic of world government and face events that tested our sanity and our sense of reality. Based on extensive interviews with survivors and key players in the 10-year fight-back against the horde, World War Z brings the very finest traditions of American journalism to bear on what is surely the most incredible story in the history of civilisation."

What did I think?

Well, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. This isn't your typical zombie fiction as a large portion of it deals with the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse rather than how it starts. It also covered some issues that I've not seen before with this genre, for example, zombies that end up in the sea but obviously don't die, so randomly appear on the beaches, and the people who are tasked with sorting out the money situation - how do you tell whether the money that people have is their own or stolen from looting?

I'd recommend this book for anyone who loves a good bit of zombie or post-apocalyptic fiction :)

I'll be interested to see what the film is like because it doesn't seem to be very similar to the book judging by the trailers - though I imagine it's a hard type of book to adapt to a film.

My art...

 

Despite enjoying the book, there wasn't any one part of it that inspired me art-wise, so I've gone with a general "aftermath" type journal page. The quote is from the book though...

My book for April is Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds a very interesting book Maz...I am the sort of person who asked, "who's been cutting the grass?" while watching Walking dead lol, so this would be right up my street :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Gina, I ask random questions too. Great page Marie, I love that skyline silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given V's telling me about the book it's interesting to read your version... And hey even if the film is different it has got Brad to enjoy!
    :)
    C xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not into zombies personally but I love your journal page. Very sinister and creepy.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read Zombie books myself, but I had a creative writing student who did a Zombie story and it's an interesting genre. Your review really made the book very vivid and conveyed the mood well. I love your art work too - really atmospheric - lovely use of colour to create mood. Thanks for sharing it and making me feel so welcome in ARC. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! How did I miss this review? Haven't seen the film trailers, haven't read the book. Will be going to YouTube directly from yours. It sounds amazing - the book I read in January, although not about zombies but about the discovery of the cure for ageing sounds like it was written in a similar way - told after the events in a kind of journal. I did enjoy that book a lot and I do love a good zombie yarn so this is going straight on my list of books to buy.

    Have you read The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan? That's a Young Adult zombie novel and kind of hints at the zombies in the sea scenario. I think it would go more in-depth in the second book but I haven't got that far yet (though I will eventually as it was another I enjoyed)

    I really love your journal page - especially the quote you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I am really confused - I haven't seen or commented on this review & page before either .... I thought I was being so good visiting everyone.....

    World War Z is an awesome book but I haven't seen the film...

    Love your artwork, mean and mooooody :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...I'll do my best to visit you in return. x